Habitat for Humanity of Greater New Haven’s ReStore is located at 286 South Colony Road, Wallingford. Hours are Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, 10:00am to 6:00pm; Friday and Saturday 10:00am to 4:00pm.
The ReStore sells donated items such as usable building materials, gently used furniture, working appliances, tools, lighting and other household goods. The proceeds are used to fund Habitat building projects. Habitat is accepting donations for the ReStore. You may request a donation acknowledgement slip for tax purposes.
Acceptable Items for Donation
All items must be clean and in good, usable, saleable condition. Habitat for Humanity of Greater New Haven reserves the right to refuse any item. If you don’t see an item on the list or have a donation question, please call the ReStore at (203) 774-7560 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that the list of acceptable items changes from time to time. If we have too much of one item or if certain items are not moving quickly, we may delay accepting more of those items.
Donations may be dropped off at the Habitat office, 37 Union Street, New Haven, by appointment and during business hours only. Please call the Habitat office to schedule a drop off. You may also email email@example.com. Please attach a photo of the object(s) if possible.
Pick up service is possible for larger items.
Must be less than 5 years old, clean and in good working condition. We accept:
- Microwave ovens
- Small appliances
- Stoves (electric or gas)
- Washers & dryers (electric or gas)
- Water heaters (electric or gas) – new, unused only
We accept both kitchen and bathroom cabinets in sets or individual pieces, which must have no structural or water damage. All cabinets must be complete and contain all doors, drawers and knobs/handles. We do not accept individual wall oven cabinets. In cases where the sink cabinet has water damage, please try to salvage the face of the cabinet. A prospective buyer could always build a new box for the face frame.
Doors must be in excellent condition, with no rotted wood, broken glass or peeling paint.We do not accept doors over 84 inches tall. We accept:
- Exterior or interior doors
- Exterior sliding or patio doors (must be assembled and complete with all jambs, tracks, and hardware. Individual sliding or patio door slabs will not be accepted.)
- Pre-hung or slabs
- Storm doors (must have all tracking)
Windows must be complete units with all sashes and frames and have no rotted wood, cracked or foggy glass. Double pane windows only. With the exception of some very large windows, all donated windows should be dropped off with the sashes installed in the frames.
Lighting must be complete, in working order and in excellent condition. We accept:
- Indoor lighting (except fluorescent, canned or track lighting)
- Outdoor lighting
Plumbing items must be in excellent, clean condition with no chips, cracks, rust or water damage. We accept:
- Complete faucets
- Fiberglass bathtubs with no cracks
- Pedestal and drop-in bathroom sinks
- Stainless steel and porcelain kitchen sinks
- Miscellaneous plumbing hardware
Must be free of stains, tears, excessive wear and animal smells or damage. We accept:
- Sofas (no sofa beds or futons)
Must be free of stains, cracks, peeling or damaged finishes, excessive wear or animal damage. WE DO NOT ACCEPT BOX SPRINGS OR MATTRESSES. We do accept:
- Bedroom furniture (NO mattresses)
- Book shelves
- Coffee tables
- Dining room furniture
- Office furniture
- Wood furniture (in very good condition)
- Stained and leaded glass windows
- Area rugs (must be free from visible wear, tear, stains or animal smells or damage)
- Carpet padding (must be 10 feet x 10 feet or larger with no visible stains or animal smells or damage)
- Carpet remnants (size must be 10 feet x 10 feet or larger, and in excellent condition with no visible wear, tear, stains, animal smells or damage)
- Hardwood flooring (must have no splitting or cracking and must be at least 30 square feet in quantity)
- Vinyl and ceramic tile (quantity must be at least 50 square feet, in excellent condition. No chipped, cut or broken pieces will be accepted.
- Complete sets of door hardware, hinges, etc.
- Any quantity of nails, screws, fasteners, hangers, connectors, etc.
- Lumber must be free of ALL nails and screws
- All lumber must be a minimum of 5 feet in length, with no warping
- Sheetgoods (particle board, paneling, plywood) must be at least half sheets with no damage
- Trim and molding must be a minimum of 5 feet in length
- Residential electric items only. No donations of commercial electrical stock accepted.
- AC window units (in good working condition)
- Gas logs
- Hand and power tools (in good working condition)
- Pallets of brick or glass brick
- Stone pavers
- Wallpaper (packaged—NO remnants or partial rolls)
- Wood stoves (free standing)
THE FOLLOWING ITEMS CANNOT BE ACCEPTED:
- Baby furniture or baby items
- Bedding, household linens (e.g. sheets, towels, etc.) or personal items
- Books or magazines
- Box springs and mattresses
- Canned and track lights
- Chemical solvents and strippers
- Clothing of any type
- Computers and computer accessories
- Fluorescent lights
- Musical instruments
- Open or partially used items of any sort
- Single-pane glass & single-pane window glass
- Sofa beds (or anything with a mattress)
- Solvents or cleaning fluids
- Sporting goods
- Toilets (used)
- Toys or games
- Wallpaper (partial rolls)